This California mission is only 3 miles west of Hwy 101 at the city of Soledad. Prime vegetable agriculture surrounds its reconstruction, while the mountains to the west lend a dramatic backdrop to a piece of history.
From Wikipedia: "In 1954, when the Mission Soledad restoration was begun, only piles of adobe dirt and a few wall sections from the cuadrángulo (quadrangle) remained. The chapel was reconstructed and dedicated under the auspices of the Native Daughters of the Golden West on October 9, 1955. The ruins of the quadrangle, cemetery, and some of the outer rooms, while not restored can still be seen. Governor Arrillaga's grave was identified and given a new marker. The Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad is now a functioning Catholic chapel and public museum."
Categories & Keywords
Category:Architecture and Structures
Keywords:California Indians, California Missions, Soledad, Soledad Mission, agriculture, farmland, history